Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Beginning .... of heart failure & some history

History
Mom turned 87 December 22, 2008. About 5 years ago she was told she should have a pacemaker as she was diagnosed with "sick sinus syndrome" -- meaning the heart had poor rhythm or arrhythmia. Mom didn't want a pacemaker....her feeling after seeing our Dad's final journey was a person may be better off is the medical society did not prolong the aging/dying process. Now most know that pacemaker's are pretty easy fix, but Mom was 82 and she just didn't want anything done that would prolong the inevitable. She even received confirmation that her decision was the right one as soon after she made the decision, there was this 'recall' of some pacemakers.
Arggggghhh!

In October 2008 we noticed Mom had this cough that was just hanging with her -- she was a smoker, so we were a bit slow to react. Mom had lost all faith in her general doctor and I don't blame her -- he paid her very little attention. She did finally agree to go and he simply listened to her lungs and wrote her a prescription for a standard antibiotic and some cough syrup
that should not be prescribed for anyone with a heart condition!
. The cough syrup was used only once at it made her loony and should not be prescribed to someone with heart irregularities! She completed that first round of antibiotics, had a chest xray in a few weeks as the cough was still present. She completed the second round of antibiotic (a different one) and then several weeks later went for another chest xray. This time my sister notices something on paperwork about "pneumonia" - hhmmmmph! So, by December, the doctor starts her on a third type of antibiotic and again a brand that should not have been prescribed to someone with heart irregularities! This woman was living independently and driving a couple times a week -- to get her hair done, or pick up food or go to the doctor / pharmacy or maybe lunch with a friend. She was certainly 86 but she was doing "ok" -- but this continued cough and multiple rounds of antibiotics was just taking it's toll on her. Prior to all this Mom only took a multivitamin and baby aspirin per day.

Mom started this third antibiotic on December 18, 2008 -- Thursday. I live about 5 hours away but called her every morning on the way to work and every afternoon on the way home. I knew that Thursday and Friday something was going on because you could tell she didn't feel good. My sister lives near her and also suspected something wrong.
Thursday morning my sister awakes from a dream where our Dad is telling her Mom is going to die that weekend. She awakes crying and distraught.
My sister goes to see Mom that Friday afternoon during lunch and sees her ankles swollen huge -- Mom is a petite and frail little woman. My sister calls me that evening and tells me about Mom and her dream. I recognize this as heart failure and I had suspected since October the cough may really be the start of heart failure. We talk and finally sister rushes to Mom's to convince her to agree to go to the hospital.

The first hospital admission
I guess we have been very fortunate as other than a hysterectomy when she was in her 50s and a mastectomy when she was 70, Mom has been pretty healthy and has managed to stay out of hospitals and away from medications. Well, December 19th Mom was admitted to the hospital's cardiac telemetry unit with heart failure. Mom's heart was racing (120-170 bpm) and throwing blood clots due to the arrhythmia. So, they start her on medications to slow her heart rate, get rid of the fluid build up and thin her blood.

Mom turned 87 in the hospital on December 22nd.

They discharge her on the 23rd with a ton of medications and instructions to have her blood checked in a week for the blood thinner. Oh -- and go ahead and take that antibiotic she started on the 18th since they had created cellulitis in her arm from the IVs. So, we go home with a pill sorter and begin R&R and building a new routine around all these drugs.

By that Friday -- after Christmas -- we realized the skin issues on her ankles are not from the previous swelling but actually from HIVES from that same $@(By that Friday -- after Christmas -- we realized the skin issues on her ankles are not from the previous swelling but actually from HIVES from that same $@($& antibiotic! amp; antibiotic!
Arggggghhh!
So we stop that drug. By Monday she is so weak, but goes for the blood test. They say her blood is twice as thin as it should be and to stop the blood thinner and come back Wednesday.

Tuesday -- the next day -- she is vomiting and has diarrhea and calls my sister. They have to call 911 and have her rushed to the hospital with a heart rate of only 20 in the ambulance!!!

To be continued................

1 comment:

  1. Exercise has been really a very important factor for the people of today’s generation. And especially exercise really helps heart patient more than anything. I have got an enlarged heart because of inability of pumping. I was also having a defective valve, which led me to be a sinus tachycardia patient. I got to know at my medical checkup at my campus. And being very young to face all this, I was really frightened regarding all these health issues. I need someone to monitor my health and keep an eye on my health as well as daily health issues. Getting an internist hired was just not the solution to the problem. I got to know about some kind of wellness program from elite health (www.elitehealth.com) Medical Service Provider Company. I got enrolled in it, as they were providing me 24/7 access to the doctors. Especially, I got one unexpected and quite a surprising opinion from their health executive who used to monitor my health and guide me the appropriate dietary solutions. He told me to have a regular exercise daily. I thought he is really mad, or planning to kill me. Ha Ha. .. But my regular exercise! Not so heavy, the results came out to be positive. I was really feeling better and healthier as compared to previous conditions. So, indirectly, exercise has really helped me suppress my health issues, especially the problems we generally face while having heart failure.

    ReplyDelete