Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Where is the Fortitude and Patience?

Every day continues to test us all. I can't imagine how Mom must feel -- maybe it is as Daddy's doctor told me once -- dementia/Alzheimer's may actually make it easier on the patient.

So according to the nurse Mom has indicated 'tremors' but not stroke. Yet when Sister went over there this afternoon to get Mom squared away for hair appointment, she finds Mom "wobbly like jello". What is that about?

We learned late this afternoon that the psych doctor is sick now with whatever virus is running rampant on that peninsula.....so evaluation will now be Thursday morning. Sister is also now sick -- which just adds to our inability to maintain composure. Appears she nor I are doing too well these past couple of days. At least Sister has an excuse -- she has a cold. We both feel the physical toll of all of this -- as Mom is no doubt feeling it more than us.

We are still awaiting movement on the new facility side -- having the main point of contact out of town is in fact delaying that process as the "assistant" is not as active. Oh well,.....where did that patience go?

There is a reason for everything, so we'll wade through this snail's pace process.

I thought several times today about being with Mom at the new facility and spending that first week with her. I hope she remains sweet and doesn't go through many days of that dreaded "transfer trauma". I want to enjoy time with her those days, enjoy her personality, participate in the events with her -- they have a fantastic calendar of events every day. A typical day at The New Facility (from now referenced as TNF):
  • 9am Daily Chronicle (Current events) OR Joy Ride (around the peninsula)
  • 10am Music & Movement OR Courtyard Stroll OR Gentle Yoga
  • 12pm Lunch at the cafe
  • 3:30 Bingo OR Bowling OR Piano Music OR Elvis Impersonator
  • 6:00 Movie & Popcorn OR Reminisce OR Resident's Choice

Now, my goal is to get Mom into a "vacation" mind set. She's always been good at setting her mind to doing something and just doing it. So, I want to set her mind to
"I need to be here for a while, so I'm going to view it as a vacation and just enjoy myself as much as possible."
That's my goal.

At least current facility staff are being very nice -- I apologize for my rush to judgment last night. It's our Mom, and we want everything "right" and "now" ;-)

No long blog tonight, need more rest.

To be Continued.....................

No comments:

Post a Comment